Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nearly a Year

My first year in NYC is almost over. It has been a really rough road with many breakdowns along the way. There have also been high points, but in all honesty I hope the next two are smoother. One of those high points is that Dr. J and I are expecting our second baby! We are SO happy and so excited to have another little baby in the house. I adore my doctor and wish I could see her more. Basically in New York, you see whomever is available in the practice and whomever is on call delivers your baby. Its such a contrast to Oregon, where I saw ONLY my doctor and the only reason she didn't deliver little miss was because she went on vacation and little miss decided to come 6 days late. I feel bad when I say that I don't love my neighborhood, because many of my friends at church absolutely LOVE it. They love the culture and diversity and they embrace the vitality. I don't know why I've been turned in to such a pessimist over the last year, but I'm tired of the drug dealing gang bangers outside my building door every day all day, I'm tired of no one understanding me...ever because I don't speak spanish, and I'm annoyed with the poor school choices in our area. There are areas of New York that I absolutely love! I adore the upper west side around Lincoln Center, its probably my favorite area in the whole city. I love Central park, the beauty of this place is unmatched, and the Upper East side is just a place to marvel at. At heart I am just a suburb girl. I always have been and I don't think I need to apologize for it. Living in New York isn't the right thing for everyone and after my first year I don't think it's the right place for me at all, maybe I'll feel different over the remaining two. I'm sorry for the people who would be offended by this that think that New York is the most fabulous city in the universe, but I find it highly overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment